Sunday, May 18, 2014

Lara Croft Cosplay @ Mayon Volcano, Philippines







Photos by Vera Bersabal

Cosplay: the practice of dressing up as a character from a movie, book, or video game, especially one from the Japanese genres of manga and anime.


If you're not too familiar with the cosplay realm then you must be living under a rock. I'm totally kidding! I never knew what it was til my sisters told me about it a couple years ago. But to help the noobs out, the definition above pretty much explains it all. 

Cosplayers take in their inspirations from animes, movies, and comic books. It's not just about looking like the character but being one with him/her. So better be sure you got some acting skills up your sleeve. 

Cosplayers usually make their own costumes but a small number of them prefer on buying it. I truly admire all the hardwork that goes into making each costume. It's not just about getting the exact color of clothing but paying attention to the tiniest of details. Some outfits may be super easy like a simple maid outfit while others can be super challenging; take for example Final Fantasy characters. They have so much going on with their hair, body straps, armory, accessories, and weapons. Not to mention, these creative individuals also make their own weapons; from swords, to axes, and shields. Gotta give them props for having so much patience in painting and designing their gear. 

For my Lara Croft costume I didn't have to make it since all her clothing pieces were easily attainable at clothing stores. The entire outfit cost me approximately $27 minus the boots since I already had them. Just in case you're wondering, Vera's cosplaying as Corporal Levi from Attack On Titan.

It was a scorching afternoon when my sis and I shot at this historic, yet active volcano site in the Philippines. Just imagine 100 degrees Fahrenheit with 90% humidity- YIKES! Socal summer temps can't even compare to the Philippine tropical weather. 

Vera and I were both wearing pants so we were slowly melting in them. We got some running shots since Lara does a lot of running in the video game particularly fleeing from merciless wolves. I wasn't able to bring my sister's baretta guns since it wouldn't pass TSA in the airport so I had to settle with old white rags used as bandages to spruce up my costume. 

So you're all probably wondering why I decided to blog about cosplay! To look at the bigger picture, cosplay is another form of expressing ones self through the inspiring works of animes, comics, & movies.  It's related to fashion because not only is it a form of art but it's used as a voice to channel our inner creativity and boost our self esteem. That's what fashion's all about right?

Whether it's for cosplay or just dressing up for fashion, don't ever be discouraged to use your freedom of expression to reveal who you truly are as a person. 


XO, Lara

No comments:

Post a Comment

FASHION THREADSS. All rights reserved. BLOG DESIGN BY Labinastudio.